Friday, February 5, 2010

Complete Portrait Retouch Workflow

Not long ago, NPR aired a story about a checklist for surgery success. Atul Gawande—a surgeon who also teaches at Harvard—offers compelling evidence that surgeons will get better results if they follow a simple checklist. The biggest challenge is convincing surgeons that they need it.

Of course, when we retouch a portrait we're not exactly saving lives. Egos, maybe, but not lives. Nevertheless, following a checklist (better known as "workflow") can streamline your retouching and help you get the best results possible. This post will tie together some of my tutorials to create a start-to-finish portrait retouch workflow. I will give a brief description of each step, but you will have to click on each step for the full tutorial. [I will come back and add photos to this post, but you don't really need them since each of the links has ample photos]

Step 1. Correct your white balance.
If you work in RAW, you will want to correct not only white balance, but as many other settings as possible. If not, you can open a curves adjustment layer and use the eye dropper from the curves dialog box to sample a white, a black, and a gray (or at least one of those). Correcting your white balance can have a dramatic effect on the overall color and brightness of a photo.

Step 2. Use curves to fine tune skin tone and color.
Even though you created a curves layer to fix white balance in step one, I find it more helpful to create a new curves layer devoted to improving the skin tone.

Step 3. Whiten teeth.
I usually warm up the skin in step 2, which has the side effect of warming up (i.e. yellowing) the teeth. If you were to whiten teeth before warming the skin, you would just have to repeat your work later.

Step 4. Clear up blemishes
Take care of the big problems with the skin first. I prefer the patch tool for most large blemishes, and the clone stamp tool occasionally. Remember to do each step on its own layer. Most people save a version of all the layers in case they need to come back and adjust something later. I have to confess, however, that I usually merge down when I am satisfied with a given step. If a client wants me to change the retouch (and, this sounds vain, but they never do), I can just go from where I left off.

Step 5. Reduce wrinkles (especially around the eyes) as needed.
This step also uses the patch tool, but I do it on a separate layer because my method (as you can see in the tutorial) uses adjustments in opacity. The main point in this step is to reduce larger wrinkles. Save the smaller ones for dodge and burn.

Step 6. Overall skin improvement using either a high-pass technique or dodge and burn.
Your choice of hi-pass softening or dodge and burn retouch will depend on how important visible pores are to you, how much time you have, and the look that you want. If you want a very soft look, a hi-pass softening or even the "foundation method" may fit the bill. It all depends on the style you want.

Step 7. Add sparkle to the eyes.
A little dodge and burn can create better catch lights and help give more interest to the eyes. If you used dodge and burn in Step 6, you can still work on the same D&B layer.

Step 8. Optional contouring with dodge and burn.
If you want to contour the nose, the lips, the cheeks, and so on, you can use dodge and burn to do so. This step is not always necessary.

Finally, don't forget to sharpen!
Maybe one day I'll do my own sharpening tutorial, but until then...
High-pass sharpening is one of the most popular quick techniques.
Adobe has some great recommendations for sharpening and they'll even point you to a long tutorial that covers several methods of sharpening. I use the sharpening programs created by NIK, which I love.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Rad checklist! I love reading this blog for jewels of info like this! Thanks again!!!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the post! Its help me a lot in taking retouch image i want to try it in my own photos.

marc said...

Ah. Spam comments (except you, modern girl style). At least they're related to the post, I guess.

Unknown said...

Thank you! This is exactly for what I was looking! (I have the skills of retouching, but I've been trying to put them in a correctly ordered list. I think you've given me a great head start!) Many thanks!

Clipping Solutions said...

Hey Marc, Fantastic writing man. You should keep on writing.
Best Regards
David Henry

Khizar Ilyas said...

Really great post on photo retouching, I really love the photo retouching services, It really helps me edit my photos. Great Post.

Photo Retoucher said...

very helpful post keep up
Photo Retouching service. I found very
amazing photo editing service at Retouch The Photos.

Jack Jee said...

Great blog, I love this blog because of many good reasons. Get Best Background Remove Service within your affordable price.

Dennis Smith said...

Every word in this piece of work is very clear and your passion for this topic shines. Please continue your work in this area and I hope to see more from you in the future.

If you just moved to Dubai get the best internet services providers Du Home Internet services, they are providing free installation all across UAE.

Precon Real Estate Brokerage said...

The Portrait Retouching Service related content is extremely useful. I have delighted in it a ton and got more data about the cut-out way administration perusing the article. You rock for offering to us.

Nancy said...

Greetings Professor. I love to start up with a warm thanks to you for producing such an effective and useful learning post. Retouching work is an art surely and it becomes a pain if the basic steps are not applied in a proper way. I was excited the way you stated all the steps. This is indeed a unique presentation for your fans and readers. I also liked it very much going through all the details. Simply it's amazing and incredibly a beneficial stuff. I also would like to share my favorite relevant site here and that's it photo retouching services. Hope this will be a helpful tour for the readers and retouching lovers.

Best Mentors Online said...

It can get difficult to stay on track with Can Someone Take My Online Class For Me homework and assignments while managing work at the same time. Either your grades suffer, or your work. If you want to balance both then it is time to hire someone to take your online class for you and help you with your homework.

Global Photo Edit said...

Really a great addition. I have read this marvelous post. Thanks for sharing information about it.
Global Photo Edit

ebony lorange said...

So great retouching tutorials . Liked and appreciated for shared such well article . eCommerce Image Help
Photo Touch Up
Photoshop Tutorial
Masking guide for Hair Image
Clipping Path
Photography Tips
Neck Joint
Photo Editing
Clipping Path
Image Optimization