Tuesday, February 22, 2011

point and shoot lust: Fujifilm finepix X100

Currently drooling over the Fujifilm Finepix x100. How can I resist the old school look, the solid construction, and gutsy 35mm (equiv) fixed F2 lens? A lot of people won't understand why a camera that doesn't even let you change lenses should cost $1,200, but the target market (street photographers, I imagine) will salivate along with me because it oozes quality. Of course, I still fantasize about the leica m9, but at $7k (and that's without a lens) there is just no way I can afford it. Read a detailed review and see what you think. The camera doesn't hit stores until March, so I have time to get control of my technolust. But I'm back in Paris in April and oh-so-tempted to bring along something light like this for when I don't feel like toting around my camera bag and heavy lenses.

My advice to myself:
1. Until I see some reviews that have tested the actual picture quality, what I'm really in love with is the idea and the look. If the photos aren't good enough for decent street photography, then there's no point.

2. It's ALWAYS good to wait if you can. Give it a year and the price will fall and/or something better will come out.

Can I follow my own advice? Yes on 1, very hard to say on 2. Guess we'll have to wait until March and see.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I seriously love it. WOW. That is a hefty price tag. Now, if I was a rich professor like you Marc, I might go ahead and get it : ) but since I am a poor social worker, I will control the urge.
Seriously gorgeous though!

Emily said...

that is a BEAUTIFUL camera.
so, question. i'm going on the senegal study abroad with mme. thompson in the spring and i only have a film camera (which i will probably take), but i am looking into buying a digital camera.
what do you recommend? i want a DSLR (i'm looking into the canon rebel xs) but want something portable and not too risky in the area we'll be in. oh and something in my budget... i think i'm willing to spend 3 or 4 hundred...
what do you think? any advice?
thanks!

marc said...

Emily--I'm a big Canon fan, so if you can get one in your price range, go for it. If you decide you want something more along the lines of a small point and shoot, you might want to look into the powershot (for Canon) or Lumix (Panasonic) series. Might not be as artistically interesting, but some of them are waterproof, dustproof, shoot HD video, and are a lot more discreet.