Thursday, December 24, 2009

'twas the night before Christmas...


...and Marc was finally figuring out why the pro retouchers love the dodge and burn tools so00000 much.

My main use of the dodge and burn tools in Photoshop has been to add sparkle to the eyes. I've used dodge from time to time on skin, but I am rarely happy with the results and usually switch to other methods. I have spent some time working through my love/hate relationship with D&B this week and am happy to say that we are finally coming to an understanding. I don't know if it's love yet, but who knows what the new year will bring?

In this detail shot of the "before" dodging and burning, Eva's eyes are too lost in shadow. The whites of her eyes are looking too red, the shadow under her eyes is too dark, and the lighting on her face is not quite strong enough.


In the "after" version, I have brought some light back into and around the eyes, as well as in the hair and the front of the face. It's a subtle change that keeps her looking like herself but that gives that available light some help.


I do not consider myself a dodging and burning expert, but I am starting to think I can bring you a tutorial on the topic that's better than most. And if optimism has its way, I'll write it before the end of the year.

1 comments:

michelle said...

I like it! Of course, I'm awfully fond of the subject as well...

Dodging and burning, however, overwhelm me.