- Text the Red Cross (text "Haiti" to 90999) and automatically make a $10 donation.
- LDS relief and Islamic relief USA have been working in concert to help with amazing speed. As I write this, the LDS site seems to be having difficulties.
- Haiti relief fund has a list of at least 23 charitable organizations where you can donate. The FBI is warning people to beware of fraud. It makes me sick that some people take advantage of tragedy to make themselves rich. Make sure you donate to an organization you can trust.
- Here is a post with 10 ways to help
- Another site with 9 ways to help.
- A list of six ways to help. I like that it includes the suggestion to learn about the culture. It might sound like that doesn't help, but the more you know the more you will feel connected to the culture.
- Put a little friendly pressure on local businesses. This list of corporations already helping out might help inspire smaller businesses to do somethingl. When you shop, you might consider asking the business if they are doing anything to help. If they get asked often enough, they will probably take action.
- Pray, meditate, do whatever you do on a spiritual level, keeping in mind that "faith without works is dead." (James 2:20)
- Put "help Haiti" on your calendar in March or later. This doesn't replace helping out now, but they are going to need help for a long time. By March, there will be less news coverage fewer people donating, but still plenty of need.
- Post any other ideas in a comment. Maybe you will inspire a reader.
Thursday, January 14, 2010
A list of 10 ways to help the Haiti relief effort
If you want to help the victims of the earthquake in Haiti, here is a list (including many other lists) of ways you can help: